Monday, September 20, 2021

KALASHNICUP REVIEW


 





rat.bastard.reviews: KALASHNICUP (KC)


   DisclosureI'm starting this review by thanking KALASHNICUP (KC) for providing these materials to me for review. I approached KC at likely the worst time and they were still kind enough to agree to sponsor our review today, by donating a 30oz Bakelite style Tumbler & 12oz Bakelite Style mugThe products being reviewed by myself today were provided to me free of charge in order to reach the largest collective audience with a fair and critical review. My analysis however, will not be effected by receiving these items free of charge. Today we talk about......CUPS of course,  Here we go!


   We find ourselves with something a little different and yet a bit of the same, in keeping with tradition our focus is that of a hazy slanted eye trembling under the awesome power of the Kalashnikov Master-race. Yes, it is true your hourly prayers to the Combloc lords under finger worn Bakelite rosary recitals have been answered. Repetitive whispers reproduced like compulsions; habitually praying for more, like relics manufactured continuously in a Cosmoline covered factory line. Machine like precision to appease the consumers, but does it evoke happiness? 


   Breakdown: KALASHNICUP is a fairly new small company, with its ETSY shop having been opened only this year (2021) and they make..... well cups. These cups are inspired by the stylings of highly sought after accessories for Combloc weapons and firearms. Some of the Items they feature for sale are tumblers, coffee or "KOFE" cups, and sports bottles. All of these items KC hand paints to resemble materials that are in general no longer created due to their toxicity such as Bakelite (Bakelite is still used for some approved applications in the same way we use Asbestos, very sparingly and under strict control).


   Smart move really, because the creation of this material has been largely outlawed; that means what's here is here and we ain't gettin' no more. This of course has made these accessories highly sought after, driving the price up and the supply down. In response to this companies have been creating look-a-like accessories called "FAKELITE" to supplement the demand and offer an alternative for those of us that love the classic aesthetic and aren't willing to sell our bodies on the street for firearms accessories.


   KALASHNICUP has in turn seemingly jumped on the reproduction train in order to cash out on the Kalash-nerds and Combloc kids with a pretty nice line of cups. The selection for finishes' that i've seen floating around between KALASHNICUP's Instagram and ETSY are Classic Orange bakelite as seen on the AKM, Plum as seen on the AK-74, and "Beaver Barf" likely inspired by the Czechoslovakian-VZ.58, However the cups I received reminded me more of the Red Bakelite grips you often see on 60's Romy Kits, versus the pictures taken and shared by other Customers on KC's ETSY shop.


   I couldn't find any branding on either of the cups I received however I will tell you both appear to be a modernized double wall insulated steel cup. You can likely compare these to any other random cup accessible daily by you and I, and I want to clarify this isn't meant to bash KALASHNICUP at all, we are talking about a VERY VERY small operation and the attracting point of the product is its Aesthetic. That being said the cups are fine, the coffee cup keeps Coffee hot and the Tumbler keeps my cold drinks cold. The lids are clear and easy to clean, and the gasket holds a hell of a seal, good god you have to summon the strength of your ancestors to take these bitches off. 


   But here's the thing, and I worried about this going into the review; 6. 6 washes, in a standard wash and dry cycle dishwasher is what it took for the finish to start peeling off these cups. I already KNOW some of you fuckheads are going to say "But Rat, you should know they are handwash only" Listen to me when I say this, You are probably correct in that, had I handwashed them MAYBE I would have gotten 15,30,50,100,250,500 uses out of them before they started to peel, maybe not. I don't know honestly, and that's not how I operate. I do these reviews from an "Everyman" perspective, The way I approach these is how I Perceive at least 75% of consumers would in their daily life. Like most middle class Americans I am overworked and have to prioritize everything in life, Handwashing when I have a readily available dishwasher doesn't make the cut. 


  Special Mentions:  As I mentioned earlier I couldn't find any indication of branding as far as a stamping or embossment on these cups, but WHOEVER is creating them has cracked a code others have been struggling with since the invention of the cup. Both the tumbler and coffee cup have fit  effortlessly into every cup holder I have tested them in, like a sword in its sheath; Amazing. The tumbler Has seen usage on my days off including outdoor usage, however the coffee cup has seen usage nearly every other day since receiving it. My testing for this review included What I perceived to be standard usage, washing, fitment testing, and exposure to different elements incrementally.


  Final Thoughts: I love the Idea, and I love the Aesthetic, and I love the history behind it But if you plan on taking care of these cups like I did then it is a pointless purchase. Unless KALASHNICUP starts using some kind or enamel or protective coating your enjoyment is going to be short lived. That being said, If you are the type of person that doesn't mind handwashing dishes or perhaps you use it as an "office" cup where you are forced to handwash after its daily usage and keep it at work then I feel like you are going to be very happy with your purchase, because you will likely greatly extend its life. I would be so stoked to get something like this as a gift I'm a history nerd, a Kalash fanatic and someone who loves their Slavic heritage its just a bit high maintenance for my lifestyle. And Because Of that I think They are worth the asking price for the right person, just be sure to caveat that its "handwash only" if getting it as a gift.  


-Rat Bastard


@KALASHNICUP

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Kalashnicup