Wednesday, August 11, 2021

AWS/APPLIEDGEAR REVIEW

 


rat.bastard.reviews: Advanced Warfighting Solutions (AWS)


  Disclosure: As is tradition I begin this review by stating that I received all Items to be reviewed below free of charge, I wanted to thank Advanced Warfighter Systems from the bottom of my heart for sponsoring this review. AWS has donated an entire 50725 LAB™ BELT SHOOTERS SYSTEM (LAB) system to basically provide for me what I could not afford to do myself. I must still insist to my audience in all seriousness, My analysis will not be effected by receiving these items free of charge. The only things a man can truly pride himself on in this life are his family, his honor, and his integrity. Pitter-Patter.


  Initial Impression: AWS Has Sent me their LAB outer belt, 2" inner belt, 1.5" inner belt, 2 pistol mag pouches, 1 rifle mag pouch, a tourniquet holder, an Individual first aid kit (IFAK) pouch, utility pouch, and a dump pouch. I am taken aback by the quality and attention to detail, each of these pieces is hand stitched and I can't find a single flaw on any of these Items. I have not had a lot of experience with "battle belts" specifically, however I have had plenty of experience with militaria and civilian grade equipment in general; this would include EDC belts as well and Military grade pistol belts. I honestly have never had the pleasure of handling a belt with craftsmanship this fine. AWS Does do some contracting for the military, and is all made here in the US by US citizens so this doesn't surprise me.


  Breakdown:  I had come into this review expecting to receive one of AWS' EDC belts, and had actually just read a pretty lengthy argument on Instagram about the LAB system being an outdated piece of kit. Not 24 hours after reading this debate I reached out to AWS to check in on the equipment shipping progress, I was told "Change of plans, you are getting the LAB system and we are shipping today". This of course was perfect, Not only was I receiving a top tier item for review, It was one that was seemingly under hot debate in recent corners of the interweb.

  When my package arrived I of course opened it to find this little beauty staring at me bright eyed and ready for business, I instantly knew anyone who would call this belt outdated obviously has no experience with it. This is the problem with the greater spectrum of the gun community, Everyone wants to be a professional merc, operator extraordinaire. No experience, no applicable skills, no original insight just regurgitating and echoing the last opinion piece they heard. However, I think I might see where this argument stems from. A lot of battle belts don't feature the inner belt like AWS does, the inner belt is fastened to itself snugly with a (Hook & Loop) Velcro exterior; under the pants belt loops while the outer belt is pre fitted and fastens to itself outside the belt loops holding snuggly with mated Velcro and a cobra buckle. The outer belt is the load bearing equipment while the inner belt assists with keeping the load stationary. AWS killed this design, and execution. Even with the belt fully loaded, you can feel the weight shift during large or fast movements but its really not bad at all while jumping, running, drawing mags, pulling out kit etc. all the weight sits on your hips and aside from breakneck speed movement its pretty much stationary.

  The LAB and associated pouches are made from nice thick Cordura that seem more durable then any standard issue equipment you're getting in the service, so I can assume like the name suggests its only SOG that's getting these quality goodies. The LAB system works perfectly with a plate carrier as long as you carry your vest high like you SHOULD, I also think it would be a fantastic option to outfit the LAB specifically for medical use & your pistol and pair with a solid chest rig that can accommodate all of your mags for a purpose driven mid-weight kit, Also the lack of weight from loaded magazines would mean that belt isn't moving at all. The LAB system and its pouches come in the usual spread of colors and patterns you would expect, black, MC, Coyote etc.


  The fit, the LAB system is sized according to your actual waist size unlike a lot of EDC belts that size according to your belt size plus room for a IWB holster and pistol, which makes it easy to find the true size for you. If you are between sizes, I would recommend sizing down as I did; this is not a belt system you are going to carry IWB with and the belt itself is adjustable and lets out a bit more when sizing then AWS lets on in their description. The 2" inner belt has better usage on tactical and duty pants, where as the 1.5" inner belt is marketed more for use with jeans. However, the 2" did fit most of my jean belt loops even if it was a little snug more surface area means a stronger hold.

  The accessories, AWS offers any pouch or addition you would need to adorn your LAB system on their website which is of course listed below. If you already have Gear you'd like to bring over to your LAB then that can be easily done as well any 1.75"-2.0" belt accessory should slide right over, no issue. If its MOLLE gear well AWS has a solution for that as well they sell segmented MOLLE portions that slide onto the LAB and act as an adapter, they will mount just the same. Since receiving my LAB System I have added my gloves and Kukri, Next is a drop leg holster and I'm done. The quality of the accessories and pouches don't feel like an after-thought or a up-sale, they are legitimately industry leading quality and I'm going to use them, no question they don't need replacing or upgrading. Everything works as expected, and some pouches even have additional compartmentalization which is both smart and functional.


  Special Mentions:  Do I think everybody needs a LAB system? No, But What I do think is having one creates a lot of options. If you're smart in your setup and approach it practically you could use one in place of a chest rig entirely. I could even see for the price, It being a great option to throw in your vehicle as the primary piece of kit in your "SHTF/ get home kit". For myself, I like the Idea of pairing it with my already existing kit and taking the place of some gear in my current set-up. I'm not sure how AWS/ Applied Gear manages to stay out of the spotlight so well on outlets like social media, but I think it is contributing to keeping cost lost and attention to detail high. I would say if your are interested in the LAB system I would get one sooner than later and see how you can make it work for you.


  Final ThoughtsIf you read my reviews you'll know by now I call a spade a spade If I don't like something I point it out, If I think something is bullshit I say it. In my dealings with AWS I really have come to admire the company, I have honestly tried racking my brain for something negative to say for balance and I just can't. The quality is unmatched, they only hire Americans and contract to the Military, they are genuine and kind people. Man; the rep I dealt with felt like an uncle you could sit and have a few beers with, just shooting the shit. I can't recommend these guys enough, and of all the companies I've had the pleasure of working with so far Advanced Warfighter Systems just hits different; these guys are incredible and I have a strong admiration for them. for that I'd like to thank them for sponsoring this review and hope I have the good fortune to work with them on future reviews.


-Rat Bastard


@awsgear


@appliedgear

https://awsin.com/

https://www.appliedgear.com/